Thursday, January 9, 2014

Estrogen allergy

Rewind 10 years, when I first began getting treatment for the endometriosis they put me on birth control hormones. They put me into fits of aura migraines. The doctors tried 3-5 different kinds before discontinuing all together and telling me to seek surgical help. 

Present day, I woke up with a terrible aura migraine this morning. At first, I didn't know why. I didn't know what medicine I could take either. I suffered through it from 4am - 9:30am and finally decided it was too much to try and stay at work. 

At the hospital, if you want to go home without penalty you have to go to employee health so I did. Fortunately, you stay on the clock while you are there. Before, you just told the nurse what you were feeling and they let you go home or told you to go see a dr. Now, they have doctors on staff who see you. 

I was seen by a fantastic doctor. Not only did she show genuine compassion but she also showed concern. After hearing about our IVF journey, and how the migraine was the result of the estrogen I'm on for the IVF embryo transfer, she contacted Dr. McCoy to discuss treatment. She didn't want to mess with our IVF chances while trying to treat me for the migraine. During all of this, she had me on a bed in a dark room for comfort.

After discussing with Dr. McCoy, she ordered two shots and two prescriptions. The shots gave immediate relief! The prescriptions are to hopefully prevent further migraines while I'm on the estrogen.

She then gave me a letter that I could return to work tomorrow. I clocked out of work at 12:15. I'm home now and am going to rest.

Please keep me in your prayers through this. No one likes migraines as they are debilitating. This being our only shot at IVF I can't just stop the estrogen. I must continue on! With God all things are possible! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! I'm glad she was able to find something that worked for you but also didn't impede your IVF efforts! I know how bad migraines can be (without the aura, though). Rest up!

    ReplyDelete