Sunday, December 1, 2013

Harvest Day Update: 11/29/2013

Friday morning was the harvest day for the eggs that I produced. We got to our appointment at 7 am. First, they took Kyle back for his sample. When Kyle returned they brought me back to get me ready for the procedure. I changed into their backless gown and waited in my recovery bed until they were ready.

The anesthesiologist was running late so I had to wait a while. When the anesthesiologist finally arrived they took me into the operating room to get me ready. I got on their weird looking, very high, table and laid down. The anesthesiologist then tried to find a vein to place the catheter in. Since they were putting me under they have to use a catheter. Fortunately, because they use a catheter they have to use lidocaine first to numb the area. This was fortunate because she had the most trouble I've ever seen trying to get the catheter into a vein.

She started in the left elbow for about 5 minutes before moving to the left wrist for about 5 minutes. After that she moved to the right elbow for 5-10 minutes. While she was working on that spot she decided to use a butterfly needle to give me some anesthesia and put me out. She felt like she was causing me too much discomfort and that putting me to sleep would be best. However, she thought the needle was in the vein and it wasn't. So the anesthesia went into my arm instead of the vein. In case you don't know, it really hurts when you force liquid into the arm instead of the vein. Only the area of injection was numb so my arm was on fire when she did that, and of course, it didn't put me to sleep. That's when she called to have someone else come in and help find a vein. That person went to my left arm while she continued on my right wrist. The person on my left arm was busy trying to find a vein that was good and never got a chance to stick me because the anesthesiologist finally got the catheter in after two attempts on my right wrist. Needless to say, I have bruises on both arms.

Once the catheter was in they administered the anesthesia and I was out. When I woke up, Dr. McCoy came to tell me the update.

I had 5 follicles during the ultrasounds. However, upon draining them they found that the two on my left ovary were empty. That leaves me with 3 eggs to start with. They definitely went with the ICSI procedure where they inject the best sperm directly into the eggs to give them the best chance of becoming viable embryos. We should receive a call from them today letting us know how many became embryos and what the quality of each embryo is.

 Please pray that all three eggs become viable embryos and that their quality is fantastic! Please continue to pray for us as this has been a very difficult process emotionally and physically.

I'll update again once we find out the status of the embryos.

Remember that I will be having surgery on December 18th to detach the left tube/ovary from my uterus. After that, I'll be able to start transfer on the next cycle in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment